Happy Anniversary to King Felipe and Queen Letizia of Spain, who got married on this day in 2004. The wedding between the then Crown Prince Felipe and journalist Letizia Ortiz was a big surprise since their relationship wasn’t public before their engagement was announced. The couple have two daughters, the Princess of Asturias and Infanta Sofia, and succeeded to the Spanish Throne in 2014, after the abdication of his father, King Juan Carlos. Take a look below at scenes from their wedding-
The Wedding Ceremony took place in the Cathedral Santa María la Real de la Almudena in Madrid, which was the first time the Cathedral had been used for a Royal Wedding, and the first royal wedding in Madrid in almost a century.
Among the wedding guests were the
- Prince of Wales
- Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik of Denmark
- King Constantine, Queen Anne Marie, Crown Prince Pavlos, and Crown Princess Marie Chantal of Greece
- King Carl Gustaf, Queen Silvia, Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Carl Phillip, and Princess Madeline of Sweden
- King Harald, Queen Sonja, Crown Prince Haakon, Crown Princess Mette-Marit, Princess Martha Louise, and Ari Behn of Norway
- King Albert, Queen Paola, Queen Fabiola, Crown Prince Philippe, Crown Princess Mathilde of Belgium
- Crown Prince Willem-Alexander and Crown Princess Maxima of the Netherlands
- Grand Duke Henri, Grand Duchess Maria Teresa, and the Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg
- King Abdullah, Queen Rania, and Queen Noor of Jordan
- Princess Caroline of Monaco and Hanover
- Empress Farah of Iran, Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna, Duke and Duchess of Braganza
- Prince Kardam and Princess Miriam of Bulgaria, Prince and Princess of Preslav, Prince and Princess of Panagyurishte, Prince and Princess of Vidin
- Prince and Princess of Naples with the Prince and Princess of Venice,
- Princess Inaara Aga Khan.
The groom wore Uniform with the Collar of the Order of the Golden Fleece, the sash of the Order of Charles III, and the stars of his other orders. The bride wore a silk-woven Manuel Pertegaz gown with a 15-foot train. The veil was a gift from the groom. She topped the ensemble with the Prussian Diamond Tiara, borrowed from Queen Sofia.