The extended British Royal Family and Foreign Royal Guests celebrated the Wedding of the King’s niece Princess Maud of Fife and Lord Carnegie in the Guard’s Chapel in Wellington Barracks in London on this day in 1923, 100 years ago. This was the fourth and final royal wedding held in London that year, following the Wedding of the Duke of York and Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, the Wedding of the Duke of Beaufort and Lady Mary Cambridge, and the Wedding of Crown Prince Gustaf Adolf of Sweden and Lady Louise Mountbatten.
Princess Maud of Fife, the second daughter of Princess Louise of Wales and the Duke of Fife, married Lord Carnegie, Heir of the Earl of Southesk, at the Royal Military Chapel in Wellington Barracks, followed by a Reception at the House of Princess Louise in Portman Square. The couple had one son, the future 3rd Duke of Fife, and resided at Elsick House, where they operated a model farm, before moving to the Southesk Family seat, Kinnaird Castle, upon succeeding to the Earldom in 1941. Princess Maud passed away in 1945, while the Earl remarried and died in 1992.
The gentlemen and children of the Chapel Royal Choir, in scarlet and gold uniform, added a picturesque touch of colour to the charm- ing score made by the dresses and uniforms. The bride was seven minutes late, causing the King to make amusing comments to the six bridesmaids, who were waiting with him in the porch.
The bride presented an entrancing picture in a robe of crystal silver and pearl, as she was led up the Church, the bridesmaids in blue following. The King gave away the bride with a slight bow. The Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church, in an address to the wedded couple, used the words of the psalmist, and wished them “Good Luck” In the name of the Lord.
Outside the church. Lord Carnegie’s brother officers made an arch of swords, and the pair drove off to the cheerful music of “The land Laddie,” played by the Scots Guards’ pipers.
Princess Maud, in response to the cheers of the crowd outside her mother’s house, twice appeared at a window, and displayed her wedding gown, and going-away frock of beaver crepe marocain, but shook her head when the crowd, chiefly composed of women, waved their handkerchiefs, and cried, “Do come down.” Later Queen Alexandra and Queen Mary came to the window, and waved to the crowd in the square.
Royal Guests and Relatives were led by Queen Alexandra (grandmother), along with King George V (uncle) and Queen Mary (aunt) as well as the Prince of Wales, Duke of York, Princess Mary, Prince Henry, and Prince George. Foreign Royal Guests were Queen Maud of Norway (aunt), Queen Olga of Greece, King Manuel II of Portugal and Queen Augusta Victoria.
The tiny Guards’ Chapel was only capable of holding 250 guests, so only near relatives and friends were invited. The Earl and Countess of Southesk and their family occupied the south side of the choir, opposite King George, Queen Mary, the Queen Mother, the Queen of Norway, Queen Olga of Greece, King Manuel and his Queen.
When the bride left the Princess Royal’s house in Portman Square, for the honeymoon, the King gave his niece a fatherly kiss, and Queen Alexandra patted her grandchild on the shoulder. The Prince of Wales and the other Princes bombarded the bridal couple with rose petals. As the car disappear ed out of sight, the Prince of Wales collected the last handful of roses and threw them over the Duke of York.