Queen Elizabeth II hosted a ceremony at Windsor Castle to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Motability, a charity that enables disabled people, their families and carers to lease a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair using their mobility allowance.
Queen Elizabeth II hosted a ceremony to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Motability in the Quadrangle at Windsor Castle. She saw specialised vehicles demonstrating the technological advances that have been made over the course of 40 years, and presented keys to new vehicles to five Motability customers including:
- A former Royal Marine who sustained life changing injuries whilst serving on operations in Afghanistan
- A student diagnosed with autism whose car will allow her to independently get to college
- A school boy who will travel to school in his Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle
- A disability advisor whose uses an adapted Drive from Wheelchair vehicle
- A gentleman who contracted polio at the age of 11 who has been a customer since the Scheme began in 1977