It’s that time of year again! Famous Auction Houses Sotheby’s and Christie’s are having their Spring Magnificent Jewels and Noble Jewels Auctions in Geneva. Click HERE to see all of our previous Royal Jewels at Auction. Take a look below at some of the objects with Royal and Noble Provenance on auction at the Christie’s Magnificent Jewels Sale on May 17th, which include a diamond stickpin, clock, and a suite.
Formerly in the collection of Empress Maria Feodorovna of Russia (1847-1928)
Set with two rectangular-cut rubies and rose-cut diamonds, this Belle Époque stickpin, signed Cartier Paris, belonged to Empress Maria Feodorovna of Russia (1847-1928), mother of Tsar Nicholas II. The Empress was known for her fabulous collection of Faberge Eggs. After her, this stickpin was owned by Hans Nadelhoffer, and sold at Christie’s in St Moritz on 22 February 1990.
Formerly in the collection of Queen Olga of Greece (1851 -1926)
Featuring a carved rock crystal frame with gold beadwork rim to the base enclosing a chapter ring with gold Roman numerals and diamond-set arrowed hands, the front bearing the initial ‘O’ for Queen Olga surmounted by a crown motif set throughout with rose-cut diamonds, this exquisite Art Déco Clock, circa 1915, by Cartier, belonged to Queen Olga of Greece, born Grand Duchess Olga Constantinovna of Russia, who was the consort of King George I of the Hellenes, and the great-grandmother of the current King of Greece. Coincidentally, Queen Olga was the sister-in-law of the aforementioned Empress Maria Feodorovna of Russia (who was a sister of King George). The clock is being sold as the property of a European Royal House.
Formerly the property of Anne, Countess of Rosse (1902-1992)
Composed of fourteen cushion and oval-cut ruby or pink sapphires, each within an old-cut diamond surround, interspersed with ruby and diamond collet spacers, the front suspending five similarly-set pear-shaped ruby or pink sapphire drops, two detachable to form a pair of ear pendants with later old-cut diamond earstud fittings, this suite, circa 1870, belonged to Anne, Countess of Rosse, mother of Antony Armstrong Jone, Earl of Snowdon and mother-in-law of Princess Margaret. As per the accompanying handwritten note, the necklace was given to her in 1925 by close family friend Sylvania Rose-Innes, whose mother supposedly had been given the necklace by the Queen of Spain.