Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh started their first State Visit to Denmark on this day in 1957, where they were hosted by King Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid of Denmark.
Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh were welcomed by King Frederick and Queen Ingrid in the Copenhagen Harbour, where the King and Queen set out in the royal barge to greet the Queen and Duke, before they made their way to the dock for the Official welcome and wreath laying ceremonies.
Afterwards, the group made their way to the Amalienborg Palace in carriages, where they posed on the balcony and with King Frederick and Queen Ingrid’s daughters.
In the evening, King Frederick and Queen Ingrid hosted a State Banquet in honour of their British guests at the Christiansborg Palace. Queen Elizabeth wore the Grand Duchess Vladimir Tiara with Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee Necklace. Queen Ingrid wore the Pearl Poire Tiara with the diamond necklace and earrings of the Danish Crown Jewels.
On Day 2, Queen Elizabeth visited atomic Professor Niels Bohr with Queen Ingrid and then Crown Princess Margrethe. She also visited the Carlsberg Breweries.
In the evening, the royal couples attended a Gala Performance at the Royal Theatre in Copenhagen. Queen Elizabeth wore Queen Alexandra’s Kokoshnik Tiara with the Dagmar Necklace. Queen Ingrid wore the Danish Emerald Parure.
On the third and final day, the Queen and Duke were accompanied by the King and Queen when they visited the Skovgard School in Copenhagen, during which they saw pupils at work during a cookery lesson.